Kurt P. Schellhas, M.D., F.A.C.R.
Neuroradiologist & Director of Spine Intervention
Kurt P. Schellhas, M.D., F.A.C.R. is national medical director of Medical Scanning Consultants, PA, is the director of spine intervention and director of the Ambulatory Surgical Center at Center for Diagnostic Imaging (CDI) in the Twin Cities. He received his medical degree from the University of Minnesota School of Medicine and his undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota. He was a resident in pathology at St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center (now Regions Hospital) and served a residency in diagnostic radiology at the Minneapolis Veteran's Hospital and University of Minnesota Hospitals. Dr. Schellhas thereafter completed a neuroradiology fellowship at the University of Minnesota Hospital.
Dr. Schellhas has gained international recognition in two areas of expertise. He published numerous peer-reviewed articles on imaging of maxillofacial structures and temporomandibular joint pathology, including the pathogenesis of many facial skeleton deformities. Since the early 1990's, he has focused his major investigations on special diagnosis, injection procedures and pain management.He has published articles in the peer-reviewed journals Spine, AJNR, as well as textbooks. Dr. Schellhas is a member of the American Society Neuroradiology.
- Undergraduate: University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Medical Degree: University of Minnesota School of Medicine in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Internship: Pathology internship at St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center, in St. Paul, Minnesota
- Residency: Minneapolis Veterans Hospital and University of Minnesota Hospitals in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Fellowship: Neuroradiology fellowship at University of Minnesota Hospitals in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- American Society for Spine Radiology
- Schellhas, K.P., Pollei, S.R., Johnson, B.A., Golden M. J., Eklund, J. A., Pobiel, R.S. Selective cervical nerve root blockade: Experience with a Safe and Reliable Technique Using an Anterolateral Approach for Needle Placement, AJNR 2007.
- Schellhas, K.P., Garvey T.A., Johnson, B.A., Rothbart P.J., Pollei, S.R. Cervical Diskography: Analysis of Provoked Responses at C2-C3, C3-C4, and C4-C5. AJNR 2000
- Wood K.B., Schellhas, K.P., Garvey, T.A., Aeppli D. Thoracic Discography in Healthy Individuals: A Controlled Prospective Study of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Discography in Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Individuals. Spine, 1999.
- Schellhas, K.P., Pollei, S.R., Gundry, C.R., Heithoff, K.B. Lumbar Disc High-Intensity Zone: Correlation of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Discography. Spine 1996.
- Schellhas K.P. Smith, M.D., Gundry C.R., Pollei S.R. Cervical Discogenic Pain: Prospective Correlation of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Discography in Asymptomatic Subjects and Pain Sufferers. Spine 1996.
- Schellhas K.P., Pollei S.R., Dorwart R.H.. Thoracic Discography: A Safe and Reliable Technique. Spine 1994.
Hobbies: Fly fishing in Alaska and lake fishing on NW Ontario, Canada