Now Offering: Breast MRI
At Center for Diagnostic Imaging (CDI), we know that a Breast MRI exam, along with waiting for the results, can be stressful. Our compassionate technologist will take extra care to walk you comfortably through the exam.
Breast MRI may be used to:
- Further evaluate an inconclusive mammogram, ultrasound or physical exam for women with dense breast tissue
- Screen certain high-risk patients, such as those with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation or strong family history of breast cancer
- Determine the extent of a known breast cancer in order to assist with treatment options
- Monitor response to breast cancer chemotherapy
- Determine implant rupture or leakage
The Breast MRI experience:
- There is no special dietary preparation for a Breast MRI, you can continue to eat and drink normally prior to your appointment
- Do not apply antiperspirant or deodorant the day of your exam as some products have metallic components that cause artifacts on the images
- For premenopausal women, it is best to have a Breast MRI 7 – 14 days after the start of your menstrual cycle and women on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) should be off it 1-2 months prior to the exam
- At CDI – Federal Way, the exam is performed on our Siemens Espree™ MRI which is a high-field scanner that offers an extra-wide bore (scanner opening) for more comfort and space
- You will rest on a padded breast coil (pictured above) and enter the scanner feet first
- An IV contrast injection may be administered by a certified technologist in your arm or hand prior to the exam for better tissue contrast and clearer images
- The exam will last approximately 40-60 minutes
Your images will be reviewed by a Breast Diagnostic Center radiologist, either Michael J. Ulissey, M.D. or J. Timothy Blackwelder, M.D. Both doctors are board certified in diagnostic radiology and subspecialized in breast imaging, breast cancer and early detection. Dr. Ulissey or Dr. Blackwelder will write a detailed report, providing your doctor with fast, accurate results.
You have a choice in where to go for imaging care
Be confident that when choosing CDI, you are receiving the latest in imaging technology delivered by industry experts.