Thomas Gilbert, Jr., MD, MPP
Thomas J. Gilbert, Jr., MD, MPP, is a board-certified radiologist with Medical Scanning Consultants, PA. with a subspecialty in spine, musculoskeletal and pain management. Dr. Gilbert provides professional physician services at Center for Diagnostic Imaging (CDI).
Dr. Gilbert completed his MRI fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco, after serving his diagnostic radiology residency at Stanford University Medical Center. Dr. Gilbert earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School and a Masters of Public Policy from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government with a focus on health care policy and management.
Dr. Gilbert joined Medical Scanning Consultants, PA in 1997 with expertise in body, orthopedic and spine imaging. Before joining Medical Scanning Consultants, PA, Dr. Gilbert served as assistant professor of Orthopedic Radiology at the University of Minnesota Hospitals and Clinics in Minneapolis. He has published numerous articles and book chapters on body, spine and orthopedic imaging. His professional affiliations include the Radiological Society of North America and the North American Spine Society.
Dr. Gilbert serves as the Chief Clinical Officer for CDI. In this capacity he works with the CDI Quality Institute Council of Medical Directors to develop guidelines for radiology clinical practices, program development, practice initiatives and patient safety. As the chairman of the Institute’s Provider Led Entity (PLE) Multidisciplinary Committee, he oversees the development of appropriate use criteria (AUC) for the management of Medicare patients.
- Undergraduate: Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Medical Degree: Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts
- Masters: Public Policy at Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Internship: Internal Medicine internship at the University of Kentucky Medical Center in Lexington, Kentucky
- Residency: Stanford University Medical Center in Stanford, California
- Fellowship: Body MRI fellowship at the University of California in San Francisco, California
- Radiological Society of North America
- North American Spine Society
- Dr. Gilbert has published more than 50 published articles and book chapters on body, spine and orthopedic imaging
- Dr. Gilbert interests include squash, fly fishing, beekeeping, chess and American history.