Is it OK to Skip my Mammogram?
Mammograms can be like flossing your teeth or tracking your monthly budget – you know you need to do it, but it’s easy to skip. If you’ve missed a mammo (or two), that's OK. The important thing is that you get back on track by simply making an appointment and showing up! Even as you get older, it is still important to continue regular screening mammograms to make sure anything suspicious is caught early, at a treatable stage. Talk to the experts at Insight Imaging about your specific breast care needs.
Fear of the unknown
If you've missed a mammogram or two the fear of, “But what if they find something?”, can prevent you from scheduling that important appointment. If you fall into this category, keep these facts in mind:
- Mammography is one of the most successful screening tools we have to detect cancer.
- It’s a very low-dose X-ray.
- 92% of women getting screening mammograms are normal, so your chances of being normal are very high.
- Of the 8% who get called back, the vast majority of those patients turn out to be normal too.
- Mammograms are covered by nearly all insurance companies at 100%, so there’s no deductible or out-of-pocket for screening mammograms.
- It’s an easy test, takes a few minutes to do, and is relatively painless.
- It’s really one of the best things you can do for your health.
The goal of breast imaging and mammography screening is to detect cancer early, when it is treatable. Having the right answers, so you can make the best health care decision, is always better than not knowing.